Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Soeur Schomburg



Source: Andean Trails. Adventure travel and culture blog, Chile’s Fiestas Patrias.
Posted by Alan, 12 September 2012.


WELL so

this week

what did i do?

WELL, I KEEP FORGETTING TO SAY SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT

September in Chile is like, THE BIGGEST MONTH THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED. Which is really weird because in the states NOTHING HAPPENS IN SEPTEMBER. But here, in September, THERE ARE A THOUSAND HOLIDAYS.

First we start with the scary one. on the 11th of Chile, everybody is really angry and I don't remember the reason why (sorry I am uncultured even though I'm living in a different culture) but everybody is mad and dangerous and light fires and blow things up and so we had to go in early on that day. It was super. [See 1973 Chilean coup d'etat for more information.] We have two pairs of sister missionaries in our ward so we went with the other hermanas (they live in the same building) and made a whole bunch of desserts and had a party because the 11th also happened to be, as my mother mentioned to me, MY SIX MONTH MARK

literally what

literally what has happened

i have been here for 6 months

i have already completed a third of my time here in chile

LITERALLY

LITERALLY WHAT

THE TIME

HAS GONE BY

SO

FAST

also the fact that I am already in my 4th week with Hna Alonso and we feel like we only just got our cambios. But also, she is going home after this cambio, so the time is just flying more rapidly for some reason

but anyway

YEAH I COMPLETED SIX MONTHS AND WE ATE DESSERTS TO CELEBRATE HOW COOL WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

What else

oh yes, the title

we are teaching some Haitians

they speak French [soeur = sister]

it's.... 

an adventure that is for sure

[Neither Hermana Schomburg nor her companion Hermana Alonso speak French]

Also, I don't remember what I said in my last email but everybody emailed me like 'PLEASE DONT BE SAD PLEASE BE OKAY WE ARE SORRY' but please do not worry for me

i literally do not even remember what it was that maybe was making me sad last week [see how quickly she forgot the slammed door? haha]

i actually am almost positive that i was not sad

so really

no se preocupen [do not worry]

but anyway what else 

how are my feet? AWESOME. They are feet. They are still attached and that is a good thing. 

OH I FORGOT TO FINISH TALKING ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS

So, the 18th is when we have Fiestas Patrias which is basically the 4th of July, but America... I think you have some patriotism competition because the people here

are

SERIOUS.

So basically, this week is going to be a whole bunch of crazy especially because the 18th is a friday, so everybody is going to be partying for all of their lives. For at least 40 years. And so yeah, THAT. [Chile's Independence Day]

Now (this is a question from my mother), what advice would I give to a brand new missionary who is thinking they can't do it?

That is a really good question. 

I would tell them, no. They can't do it. None of us, with all our imperfections and disabilities; with our weaknesses and struggles, no, not a single one of us can do it. Not alone. The first thing that we have to remember is that this is the Lord's work. This is not our work; not our mission. This is the mission of the Lord and if we expect to be able to do it, we have to do it with Him. We can't trust only in ourselves to be able to do it. Forget yourself; this time isn't yours. This time is reserved for the Lord and He will do everything He can to help you if you put your trust in Him and let go; so get to it! 

Something I love about Chile? THE ALMACENES

There are little stores everywhere. Literally everywhere. IT IS SO CONVENIENT. Also the vegetables are so good. Everything. I love the food. Empanadas [fried meat pies]... cazuela [casseroles]... sopaipillas [fritters]... mote con huesillos [maize and peach drink]... YES TO ALL OF IT

What do I dislike? Good question... golly... well, I don't know if i've mentioned this, but I am in the city. Like the city city. And there are so many buses and they are so loud just like the kind of loud that makes you want to yell back at it when it passes just like

UGH

STOP

DO NOT BE SO LOUD

but uh... that... haha, i think that's it to be honest. 

Also what zone am i in? I am in a zone called Independencia! In a ward called Vivaceta! It's pretty cool. 
hmm...

what else can i even say about this place? It is a place. A city. There are humans. Many humans. And more dogs I think. There are like 12 dogs at least.

OH YEAH WE WENT TO PORTILLO AGAIN THIS MORNING AND IT WAS WAY FUN

we sledded in trashbags

que divertido [much fun]

Photo from the previous outing to Portillo


i have like 50000 pictures but for some reason THIS COMPUTER IS NOT DOING THE FUNCTIONING THING AND IT IS NOT WORKING AND I CANNOT SEND YOU PICTURES but know that i am alive and that my face is here

what else did i even do this week I'M SORRY I KEEP FORGETTING UGH WE JUST KEEP DOING THINGS SO MANY THINGS AND YEAH JUST I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO DO BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE THAT STILL DONT HAVE THE GOSPEL AND DARNIT I AM GOING TO BRING IT TO THEM

but anyway, that all happened and I love you all very much and I am so happy to be here and happy to be working and happy to be alive and that is just how it is :) HAVE A GREAT WEEK AND EAT MANY EMPANADAS ON FRIDAY 

CCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment