Saturday, November 18, 2017

...and the Army Goes Rolling Along

(Español abajo)

Hello folks!
Well, it’s been a while since I posted anything here and from the pictures I posted on Facebook with this link, you’re probably wondering, “Is this for real? Is she INSANE??” 
I think we all know the answer to that.
Yes, I am.
But I figure it’s only fair to let you in on the secrets of my mad mind. 
To put any doubts to rest about the meaning of my pictures, let me start by saying that I have decided to enlist in the Army!
If you’re surprised, you can just take that feeling and multiply it by about 700,000 and that’s about how surprised I am. This entire process and decision has been an extremely spiritual experience for me and I am convinced that I have been led to this new path and opportunity by Heavenly Father. Never had I imagined myself joining the military in any capacity; in the entire course of my life between wanting to be an actress, a scientist, a ventriloquist, an astronaut, a spy, or any other thing I may have set my heart to, I had never put any thought into being in the military, but I am a firm believer of following promptings from the Holy Spirit, no matter where they may take you, so here I am!
About a month ago my brother Jeffrey graduated from basic training and I was able to attend his graduation in Missouri. Long story short, in the conversations I had with my brother and upon watching those corny Army recruiter videos they show, I became more and more interested in learning about the ROTC program. In the fifteen hour drive home, I had more than enough time to research and investigate to my heart’s content, and by the time we arrived home, I was pretty well decided. I wanted to be in ROTC. 
Fast forward a bit: the next week I went to the recruiters, fully expecting them to try to convince me to enlist immediately, but I was going to stand my ground. I did for the first couple of days, but I soon felt a prompting to investigate further what they were telling me about going into the reserves. As I researched and talked to people and found out more, I was having stronger and stronger impressions to enlist and go active duty. This idea terrified me more than anything else ever has, so I decided to go to the temple for guidance and direction. 
A large part of me was hoping to receive an answer something to the tune of, “Elizabeth Annette, what the heck are you thinking? Are you crazy?? Stop this RIGHT NOW,” but a bit to my dismay, the answer I received was a little different. 
I have learned that many times when we pray and ask ambiguous or vague questions, it’s harder to receive an answer, but if we make a decision and pray for confirmation, we are  practically guaranteed an answer. The question I asked in the temple that day was not whether or not I should join the Army, but rather the statement that I had decided to join the Army and the question of whether that was the right decision. 
The answer I received was a resounding, “Yes.”
So, despite the many fears I have to take on this new challenge and adventure, I know that this is the way Heavenly Father wants me to go right now. Who knows if it will continue being the right way, but for now, I know that it is. 
Now before you go all, “But Elizabeth, you don’t know what you’re getting into,” on me, let me say just one thing:
I am well aware of how much I don’t know what I’m getting into. 
My all time favorite scripture that has kept me company through many walks of my life is found in 1 Nephi 4:6 and part of 7. It reads, “And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. / Nevertheless I went forth…” 
I know that I am being led by the Spirit down this path; I know that He would never lead me astray. I’m also aware of how challenging and difficult this is going to be, but I know that I will never be alone during this process. To quote one of my favorite hymns, “The Lord is my light: then why should I fear?” 
Of course, I am terrified, I think any normal human should be terrified upon making a decision like this, but I take peace in knowing that this is not just some irrational and sudden choice, but rather a carefully investigated and inspired choice. 
So there ya go! That’s it! I’m joining the Army! Hoorah!
The end.
P.S. For anybody that is just dying to know more details, here are just a couple: I’m planning on working as a cryptologic linguist, so I’ll be learning at least one new language, which is what my goal has been all along! I probably won’t be shipping off to basic training until late January or February because I’ve got some preparing to do (if you know me, you know how much I loathe running), aaaand that’s actually about all I know. Feel free to ask me any other questions and I’ll answer them to the best of my knowledge and abilities!



Hola a todos!
Bueno, ha sido un buen tiempo desde que publiqué algo aquí, y de las fotos que publiqué en Facebook, probablemente se están preguntando, “Qué honda? Ella está LOCA??”
Creo que todos sabemos la respuesta.
Sí, la estoy. 
Pero supongo que solo es justo que se enteren de los secretos de mi mente insana. 
Para resolver cualquier duda sobre el significado de mis fotos, voy a empezar al decir que he decidido entrar al Ejercito!
Si estás sorprendido, puedes tomar ese sentimiento y multiplicarlo por 700000 y eso es el nivel de sorpresa que estoy sintiendo yo. Todo de este proceso y esta decisión ha sido una experience extremadamente espiritual y estoy convencida de que se me ha guiado a este nuevo camino y oportunidad por el Padre Celestial. Jamás me había imaginado entrando en las fuerzas armadas en ninguna capacidad; en todo el curso de mi vida entre queriendo ser actriz, científica, ventrílocua, astronauta, espía, o cualquier otra cosa que quería mi corazón, nunca jamás había pensado en entrar a las fuerzas armadas, pero soy creyente de seguir a las impresiones del Espíritu Santo, no importa a donde te llevan, así que, aquí estoy!
Alrededor de un mes atrás, mi hermano Jeffrey se graduó de su entrenamiento básico para el ejercito y pude yo asistir a su graduación en Misuri. Para ser más breve, al conversar con mi hermano y al ver los videos medios chistosos que te muestran, llegué a tener más y más interés en aprender del programa ROTC. En las 15 horas de viaje de vuelta a nuestra casa, tuve más que el tiempo suficiente para investigar cuanto que quería mi corazón, y al llegar a casa, ya había decidido. Quería entrar en el programa ROTC.
Un poco más adelante: la próxima semana, fui al reclutador, sabiendo que iban a intentar a convencerme entrar inmediatamente al ejercito, pero iba a permanecer firme. Lo hice por los primeros días, pero muy pronto sentí la impresión de investigar más lo que me estaban diciendo de entrar en las reservas. Al investigar y hablar con algunas personas y encontrar mas información, tuve impresiones cada vez más fuertes de entrar inmediatamente al servicio activo. Esta idea me dio muchísimo miedo, más que cualquier otra cosa, así que decidí ir al templo para pedir guía y dirección. 
Una parte bien grande de mi quería recibir una respuesta parecida a lo siguiente: “Elizabeth Annette, qué en el mundo estás pensando? Estás loca?? Basta YA,” pero un poco para mi consternación, la respuesta que recibí fue un poco diferente.
He aprendido que muchas veces cuando oramos y preguntamos cosas ambiguas o vagas, es más difícil recibir una respuesta, pero si tomamos una decisión y oramos para  la confirmación de ella, prácticamente se no garantiza una respuesta. La pregunta que hice ese día en el templo no fue si debo de entrar en el ejercito o no, sino fue una declaración que había decidido entrar al ejercito y la pregunta de si eso era la decisión correcta. 
La respuesta que recibí era un resonante, “Sí.”
Entonces, a pesar de los miedos que tengo al enfrentar este nuevo desafío y aventura, sé que este es el camino que el Padre Celestial quiere que tome en este momento. Quien sabe si seguirá así, pero por ahora, sé lo hará.
Ahora, antes de que digan todos, “Pero Elizabeth, no sabes a lo que te estás metiendo,” déjenme decir una cosa:
Estoy bien consciente de exactamente cuanto que no sé a lo que me estoy metiendo. 
Mi escritura preferida de todas y que me ha acompañado por muchas fases de mi vida se encuentra en 1 Nefi 4:6 y parte del 7. Dice, “E iba guiado por el Espíritu, sin saber de antemano lo que tendría que hacer. / No obstante, seguí adelante…”
Sé que estoy siendo guiada por el Espíritu en este camino; sé que nunca me extraviaría. También estoy consciente de cuan desafiante y difícil que va a ser esto, pero sé que nunca estaré sola durante este proceso. Para citar uno de mis himnos preferidos, “Jesús es mi luz, y no temeré.”
Por supuesto, estoy aterrorizada, creo que cualquier humano normal debe de estar aterrorizado al tomar una decisión así, pero tengo paz al saber que esta no es una decisión irracional e imprevisto, sino una decisión cuidadosamente investigada e inspirada.
Así que eso! Es todo! Voy a entrar al ejercito! Hoorah!
Fin.

P.D. Para aquellos que están muriendo para saber unas detalles, aquí están algunas: estoy planificando trabajar de lingüista criptológica, así que estaré aprendiendo hablar por lo menos un idioma más, lo cual ha sido mi meta desde el principio! Probablemente no me van a enviar al entrenamiento básico hasta el final de enero o durante febrero porque tengo que prepararme un poco (si me conoces, sabes cuanto que odio al correr), yyyyy de hecho eso es todo lo que sé. Siéntanse libres de preguntarme cualquier otra cosa y les responderé lo mejor que pueda! 




No comments:

Post a Comment